Chief Executive Officer of Niti Aayog
Former IAS officer BVR Subrahmanyam was appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of Niti Aayog. The former Commerce Secretary takes over from Parameswaran lyer, who has been named as the Executive Director of World Bank. Subrahmanyam will take over from current CEO Parameswaran Iyer who will join World Bank as executive director in Washington DC. Subrahmanyam’s appointment as NITI Aayog CEO was announced by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. Mr. Subrahmanyam’s appointment is for two years from the date of assumption of the charge of the post.
About the BVR Subrahmanyam
- Subrahmanyam, a 1987 batch IAS of Chhattisgarh cadre, retired as commerce secretary in September 2022. During his year-long stint at the department of commerce, Subrahmanyam played a key role in strategising the road map to a record $422 billion merchandise exports, as the economy struggled to get out of the post-Covid slump last year.
- He also steered at least half a dozen free trade agreement (FTA) negotiations. During his tenure in the commerce department, India signed two trade deals — with the United Arab Emirates, and Australia. Considered an internal security expert, Subrahmanyam had held the post of chief secretary of Jammu and Kashmir earlier.
What is NITI Aayog?
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairman: Suman Bery;
- NITI Aayog Formed: 1 January 2015;
- NITI Aayog Headquarters: New Delhi.
You may also read this: