Renowned astronomer and founder director of IUCAA, Prof Jayant V. Narlikar, received the inaugural Govind Swarup Lifetime Achievement Award from the Astronomical Society of India (ASI). Narlikar is a past president of ASI and was the founding director of the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA). He is known for his work on cosmology and gravitation, and has made significant contributions to the understanding of the evolution of the universe.
The Govind Swarup Lifetime Achievement Award is a prestigious award that recognizes the outstanding contributions of individuals to the field of astronomy. The award honors the memory of Govind Swarup, a pioneer in the field of radio astronomy in India, and it serves as a testament to the honorees’ dedication, innovation, and immense impact on the scientific community.
About the Govind Swarup Lifetime Achievement Award:
- The Govind Swarup Lifetime Achievement Award is an award given by the Astronomical Society of India (ASI) to recognize individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the field of astronomy throughout their careers. The award was instituted in 2022 and is named after Govind Swarup, a pioneer in the field of radio astronomy in India.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 1,50,000/- (Rupees One Lakh and fifty thousand), funded by the family of Govind Swarup, as well as a plaque, and a citation. Support for the recipient’s travel (within India) to the venue of the meeting and full local hospitality during the period of the meeting will be provided by the Society.
- The nominees for the award will be scientists who have contributed significantly to the growth of astronomy and astrophysics in India. The nominees will be selected by a committee of eminent scientists appointed by the ASI.
- This prestigious award, established in 2022, recognizes the significant contributions of Indian astronomers like Prof Narlikar in the field of astronomy and astrophysics. Prof Narlikar’s notable achievements include his research on the Universe, his contributions to Astrophysics, particularly the Narlikar-Hoyle theory, and his pioneering work in cosmology research in India.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- President of the Astronomical Society of India: Prof. Dipankar Banerjee;
- Astronomical Society of IndiaHyderabad, India;
- Astronomical Society of India Founded: 1972.
You may also read this: