October is a month full of important days, both national and international. Some of the notable ones include Gandhi Jayanti, World Nature Day, World Habitat Day, World Post Day, World Food Day, United Nations Day, Rastriya Ekta Diwas, World Polio Day. These days are celebrated to raise awareness about important issues and to honor the contributions of individuals and groups to society.
As October 2023 unfolds, the calendar is dotted with several important days and events, particularly significant for exam candidates. Whether you’re preparing for competitive exams, interviews, or simply looking to stay informed, this article serves as a valuable resource, providing comprehensive information about the noteworthy occasions in October 2023.
Here is a list of important days in October 2023, both national and international
International Day of Older Persons: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of the challenges faced by older persons and to promote their rights and well-being.
- Gandhi Jayanti (India): This day commemorates the birth of Mahatma Gandhi, the leader of the Indian independence movement and a global icon of peace and non-violence.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti 2023: 2nd October 2023 marks the 119th birth anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri, India’s second Prime Minister. This day is celebrated as Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti.
- International Day of Non-Violence: This day promotes the principles of non-violence and tolerance, as advocated by Mahatma Gandhi.
- World Habitat Day 2023: World Habitat Day, observed on the first Monday of October each year, serves as a global platform to contemplate the state of our habitats and emphasize the fundamental right of every individual to have access to adequate shelter. This year World Habitat Day observed on 2nd October.
- World Nature Day: This day is celebrated to promote awareness of the importance of nature and to encourage people to protect it.
- World Animal Welfare Day: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of animal welfare and to promote the protection of animals.
- World Teachers’ Day: This day is celebrated to honor the contributions of teachers and to raise awareness of the importance of education.
- Indian Air Force Day: This day commemorates the formation of the Indian Air Force in 1932.
- World Post Day: This day commemorates the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874.
- World Mental Health Day: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of mental health issues and to promote mental well-being.
- International Day of the Girl Child: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of the challenges faced by girls and to promote their rights and well-being.
- World Sight Day: Every year, the second Thursday of October marks a crucial occasion on the global calendar, World Sight Day. This day is dedicated to raising awareness about vision impairment and blindness. This year it falls on 12th October.
- UN International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of the importance of disaster prevention and to promote resilience to natural disasters.
- World Food Day: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of the importance of food security and to promote the eradication of world hunger.
- United Nations Day: This day commemorates the anniversary of the signing of the Charter of the United Nations in 1945.
- World Polio Day: This day is celebrated to raise awareness of polio and to promote the eradication of the disease.
- Rastriya Ekta Diwas (India): This day commemorates the birth of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who played a key role in uniting India after independence.