Indian Coast Guard 47th Raising Day
The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) is celebrating its 47th Raising Day on 1st February 2023. From a modest beginning with just seven surface platforms in 1978, the ICG today has 158 ships and 78 aircraft and is likely to achieve the targeted force levels of 200 surface platforms and 80 aircraft by 2025. As the fourth largest Coast Guard in the world, the Indian Coast Guard has played a significant role in securing the Indian Coasts and enforcing regulations in the Maritime Zones of India. The ICG was formally established on February 1, 1977, by the Coast Guard Act, 1978 of the Parliament of India. It operates under the Ministry of Defence.
Indian Coast Guard: About
- Indian Coast Guard’s inventory includes 158 ships and 70 aircraft.
- Since its establishment, the organization has saved 11082 lives.
- Coast Guard Day was established by the government to honour the service of the hundreds of soldiers working tirelessly to protect the nation.
- The motto of the Indian Coast Guard is Vayam Rakshamah, which translates to “We Protect”.
- Spreading awareness about the service of the Indian Coast Guard.
- Sharing information about the history of the organization.
- Coast Guard Day is celebrated by honouring those who work tirelessly for the organization.
History of Coast Guard Day:
The history of Indian Coast Guard Day can be traced back to 1 February 1977, when the Parliament of India passed the Coast Guard Act, 1978. The organization was set up to be operated under the Ministry of Defence. On 19 August 1978, then-President Morarji Desai officially launched the organization with just seven ships.
Indian Coast Guard Day is a celebration of the fourth most powerful Coast Guard in the world. It is also a day to celebrate the achievements of the organization. We must all remember to honour the service of the organization on Indian Coast Guard Day 2023.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Indian Coast Guard Director-General: Virender Singh Pathania;
- Indian Coast Guard Founded: 1 February 1977;
- Indian Coast Guard Headquarters: New Delhi.
You may also read this:
- Patrol vessel Samarth commissioned with Indian Coast Guard
- Indian Coast Guard launched “PADMA” centralised payment system
- Indian Coast Guard inducts new Advanced Light Helicopter Squadron 840 CG