The Indian football team reaped a good harvest of its impressive Asian Cup qualification campaign as it gained two places to jump to 104th in the latest FIFA world rankings released. The Blue Tigers are placed just below New Zealand (103), who missed out on a 2022 FIFA World Cup spot after losing 0-1 to Costa Rica in the intercontinental play-off earlier this month. India’s ranking among Asian Football Confederation (AFC) members, however, still remained static at 19th place.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
In the overall world rankings:
- Iran retained the top spot among the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) countries (23).
- Brazil remained on top, three months after taking the top spot from Belgium (2nd).
- Argentina jumped one place to third at the expense of France (4th) who paid the price for four winless games in the UEFA Nations League.
- England, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal and Denmark complete the top-10.
- The next FIFA world ranking will be out on August 25.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- FIFA President: Gianni Infantino;
- FIFA Founded: 21 May 1904;
- FIFA Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland.