The Indian Navy has launched the fifth Scorpene submarine “Vagir” at Mazagon Dock of south Mumbai. The submarine is capable of taking missions such as anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, mine laying, intelligence gathering and area surveillance.
- Vagir is a part of six Kalvari class submarine that is being built in India.
- These submarines were designed by the French Navy and an energy company DCNS.
- The six submarines were built under Project-75 of Indian Navy.
- Vagir has been named after Sand Fish. It is a deep-sea predator in the Indian Ocean.
- The first Vagir was commissioned in 1973. The first Vagir submarine was from Russia.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.