International Day of Mathematics 2023
Every year on March 14, the International Day of Mathematics, also known as Pi Day, is observed to honour the mathematical constant Pi, which expresses the proportion of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. The value for Pi is 3.14. Every year, all nations are welcome to take part in events that are open to the public and students in schools, museums, libraries, and other locations. At its 205th meeting, the Executive Council of UNESCO declared March 14 to be the International Day of Mathematics.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
International Day of Mathematics 2023: Theme
According to the celebration’s official website, the theme for Pi Day 2023 is “Mathematics for Everyone,” which was suggested by Marco Zarco Rotairo of Trece Martires City National High School in the Philippines.
International Day of Mathematics 2023: Significance
The purpose of the holiday is to recognise and celebrate the value of mathematics in our daily lives. Pi is a fundamental constant that is important for calculations, and scientists have studied and employed mathematics. Also, Albert Einstein’s birthday anniversary falls on this day. The renowned theoretical scientist Stephen Hawking passed away on this day in 2018.
International Day of Mathematics 2023: History
- In 1988, American physicist Larry Shaw recognised the day by planning a major party at the San Francisco Exploratorium. The initial celebration was carving a pie into the shape of pi and reciting the number pi to all possible decimal places.
- Mathematician Archimedes of Syracuse is credited for determining Pi’s value for the first time. When Leonhard Euler used the sign of Pi in 1737, the scientific community eventually embraced it.
- Pi Day will be recognised as International Mathematics Day in 2019 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) at its 40th General Conference.
You may also read this:
- World Consumer rights Day 2023 observed on March 15th globally
- International Day to Combat Islamophobia 2023: March 15