Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Government of India, inaugurated two new Internet Exchange Points (IXP) of National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) at Durgapur and Vardhman. In the presence of S. S. Ahluwalia, Member of Parliament for Bardhaman-Durgapur Lok Sabha, in keeping with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Digital India vision to connect every Indian. It is under the 1000-day plan of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- The National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) also manages the first Internet Exchange in the state of Kolkata.
- With the opening of two new Internet Exchange Points in Durgapur and Bardhaman, it is currently increasing its presence throughout the state.
- The opening of these new NIXI internet exchanges throughout the state will help to advance and improve broadband and Internet services both locally and in surrounding areas.
- By improving their broadband services to their end users and changing the lives of the people in the area, the internet service providers connecting at these sites will gain.
- Every sector of the state will benefit from the opening of these new IXPs, including MSMEs and other business sectors as well as the health, education, agricultural, and startup ecosystems.
- Citizens will have greater access to government benefits and convenience, which will raise their standard of living.
- The two new Internet Exchange nodes from NIXI will undoubtedly improve the Internet ecosystem of the region.
- NIXI intends to establish such internet exchanges in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities soon in order to enhance the whole Indian internet ecosystem and provide internet users with access to it at a low cost with increased speed.
- NIXI extends an invitation to all ISPs to set up peering at any of its nodes and assist the domestic Internet ecosystem.