With the launch of a UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025, the UN took a major step towards catalyzing the large-scale action and support needed for the transition to clean, affordable energy for all and net-zero emissions against the backdrop of a global energy crisis and worsening climate emergency.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Around 30 important organisations, including UN-Energy, launched the ‘Plan of Action.’
- According to the UN, an Energy Compact Action Network has been established to connect nations seeking support for their clean energy ambitions with governments and corporations that have pledged more than $600 billion to support these commitments.
- Coalitions supporting energy access and transition in Nigeria, Santiago, and Chile were announced, demonstrating the Network’s potential, as well as coalitions supporting green hydrogen and a better role for women in leading and benefiting from the energy transition.
- Liu Zhenmin, UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs and Secretary-General of the 2021 High-Level Dialogue on Energy said that the Global Roadmap that emerged from the High-level Dialogue calls for strengthened efforts by the UN system, supported by UN-Energy, including the creation of a global multi-stakeholder Energy Compact Action Network,
- Achim Steiner, Administrator of the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and co-chair of UN-Energy, said that the UN-Energy Plan of Action is our collective response to today’s global energy and climate challenges, noting that the commitments made at the 2021 High-Level Dialogue on Energy and COP26 must be translated into actions on the ground.
As part of this, UNDP is scaling up its energy work to help countries achieve a just energy transition, allowing them to make progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals while also addressing the climate problem.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs and Secretary-General of the 2021 High-Level Dialogue on Energy: Liu Zhenmin
- Administrator of the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and co-chair of UN-Energy: Achim Steiner