Legendary Bollywood actor Mohammed Yusuf Khan, known professionally as Dilip Kumar passed away at 98. He was popularly known as the tragedy king of Bollywood. He was last seen in the 1998 film Qila. He was the first actor to win the Filmfare Award for Best Actor in 1954 and won it a total of 8 times. He and Shah Rukh Khan jointly hold the record for most Filmfare trophies.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About Dilip Kumar:
- Dilip Kumar was born on 11 December 1922, the Qissa Khawani Bazaar area of Peshawar (present-day Pakistan) to Ayesha Begum and Lala Ghulam Sarwar Khan.
- He debuted in films with 1944’s Jwar Bhata, but the film and his work did not garner much attention. It was with 1947’s Jugnu, also starring Noor Jehan, that he clinched his first box office hit.
- In 1949, he starred in Andaz with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, and it was that film that made Dilip Kumar a big star.
- Dilip Kumar is listed in the Guinness World Records for winning the maximum number of awards by an Indian actor. He is also credited as the first method actor in India.
- He was honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1994 and Padma Vibhushan in 2015.