Madhya Pradesh: About
Madhya Pradesh is also known as the heart of India as it is situated in the center of India. Madhya Pradesh is the second largest state by area in India and the fifth largest state by population. It shares its border with Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Rajasthan. The capital of Madhya Pradesh is Bhopal and the largest city is Indore with Jabalpur, Ujjain, Gwalior, Santa, and Guna being the other major cities. The economy of Madhya Pradesh ranks 10th in India with a GSDP of ₹9.11 trillion and it has the country’s 26th highest per capita income. In India, Madhya Pradesh is known for its large reserves of diamond and copper.
Madhya Pradesh: History
- Chandragupta Maurya united nose than India around 320 BCE establishing the Mauryan Empire which included all of modern-day Madhya Pradesh.
- After the decline of the Mauryan Empire the reason was contested among the Sakas the Kushanas and the Satavahanas.
- From the first century CE Ujjain immersed as the pro predominant commercial center of Western India.
- The Chandelas built the majestic Hindu Jain temple at Khajuraho which represents the culmination of Hindu temple architecture in Central India.
- During 1857, rebellions happened in the Northern part of the state, which was led by Tatya Tope, however, these were destroyed by the British and princes loyal to them.
- In 1950, Madhya Pradesh was created as a state of India after its Independence. The state was created from the former British Central provinces and Berar and the princely states of Makarai in Chhattisgarh.
Madhya Pradesh: Things you need to know
- The capital of Madhya Pradesh is Bhopal.
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh is Shivraj Singh Chouhan and the Governor is Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel.
- The largest city of Madhya Pradesh in Indore.
- Madhya Pradesh was formed as a state in India on 1st November 1956.
- The area covered by Madhya Pradesh is 308,245 Km2 which is the second rank in India.
- The official language of Madhya Pradesh is Hindi.
- The state animal of Madhya Pradesh is Barasingha, the state bird is the Indian Paradise Flycatcher, and the state flower is Palash.