Meghalaya government has entered into a partnership with Israel to establish a one of a kind Centre of Excellence(CoE) on high-value vegetables in the state to improve and promote the livelihoods of farmers. CoE is important for tapping the diverse biodiversity and available resources in the state in terms of its soil and agro-climatic condition.
Benefits of CoE
- Considering the State has a gene pool of important vegetables, fruits and plants like Citrus fruits in Nokrek, East Garo Hills District, the CoE will act as
a stimulus for more research work and also for expansion into multi-fold aspects including tourism potential.
- By generating/propagating seedlings through Quality Planting Materials, CoE is likely to create a meaningful impact.
- It will enhance cultivation by introducing techniques and technology support and creating water harvesting and conservation initiatives.
- To address the marketing issue, it will explore the possibility to establish a State of the Art Packing House.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma.
- Meghalaya Governor: Satya Pal Malik.
- Meghalaya Capital: Shillong.
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem
- Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Israel Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu