Merriam-Webster word of the year 2022:
The US dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster announced that their 2022 word of the year is “gaslighting” or as Merriam-Webster defines it, “the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one’s own advantage.” Interest in the term was up by 1,740% over the previous years according to searches of the online dictionary. The term itself came into existence 80 years ago in 1938 through gas light, Gas Light is a play written by Patrick Hamilton. Two films were made on this play in the 1940s.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The top definition of “gaslighting” from Merriam-Webster is a form of psychological manipulation, usually over an extended period of time, that “causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one’s emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator.”
Others meaning of Gaslighting:
- The dictionary defines the term as: “The act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one’s own advantage.”
- Gaslighting refers to playing with someone on a psychological level for a long period of time, so that the victim begins to doubt the validity of their own thoughts and true sense of self.
- Gaslighting can also be a corporate ploy to mislead the public.
- Gaslighting, in simple language, is cheating psychologically with someone.
- Psychological gaslighting is the questioning of reality while manipulating or dominating a person.
- Talking to someone in a psychological way, questioning his existence, his truth, his decisions or his memories comes under the ambit of gaslighting.
- This word is an emotional abuse. Such behaviour in love or in married life breaks a person completely. He feels himself mentally tortured.
Which other words were people looking up in 2022?
- Oligarch: A term derived from the Russian invasion of Ukraine. It means high noble. It is also used for the officers of authoritarian regimes.
- Omicron: This is a variant of the coronavirus. This letter is mentioned in the Greek alphabet. Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc are part of this alphabet. Areas in Greater Noida were also named on this basis.
- Codify: Converting abortion rights into federal law.
- Queen Consort: Camilla, wife of Maharaja Charles, is known by this name.
- Raid: The search at Mar-a-Lago home of former President Donald Trump was in the news.
Find More Miscellaneous News Here