Nobel Peace Prize 2022: Ales Bialiatski, a human rights defender from Belarus who is now incarcerated, Memorial, a Russian human rights organisation, and Center for Civil Liberties, a Ukrainian human rights organisation, have all been jointly given this year’s Nobel Peace Prize 2022. The Russian human rights organisation Memorial is one of the two organisations to receive this year’s Nobel Peace Prize. The Memorial was ordered to close down during a wave of repression against critical voices and refers to it as “the conscience of Russia prohibited under Putin.” During a time of unrest in Ukraine, the Center for Civil Liberties was established in 2007 to advance democracy and human rights there.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
Nobel Prize 2022 Winners list: Complete List of Noble Prize Winners Names of 2022
Nobel Peace Prize 2022: Key Points
- The centre has stepped its efforts to support Ukrainian civil society and put pressure on the government to transform Ukraine into a fully fledged democracy and a state ruled by the rule of law, according to Nobel committee head Berit Reiss-Andersen.
- The organisation has tried to compile evidence of Russian war crimes committed against Ukrainian citizens since Russia invaded Ukraine in February.
- When it comes to bringing the guilty parties accountable for their misdeeds, the centre is paving the way.
What awardees had to say in winning Nobel Peace Prize 2022?
- Volodymyr Yavorskyi, a spokesman for the Center for Civil Liberties, said the honour was significant for the group since for a long time they operated in an unnoticed nation.
- In order to ensure that the victims of communist repression would be remembered, Memorial was established in the Soviet Union in 1987.
- It has kept tabs on the whereabouts of political prisoners in Russia and compiled data on the country’s violations of human rights.
- Ales Bialiatski, a seasoned rights advocate in totalitarian Belarus and the sole recipient of this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, is the subject of a helpful feature by AFP.
Important Facts About Noble Prize:
The Nobel Prizes in physics, chemistry, literature, physiology or medicine, and worldwide industrialist Alfred Nobel’s will, which was revealed after his death in 1896, stated that these awards would be given in Stockholm, Sweden, while the Nobel Peace Prize would be given in Oslo, Norway.