The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 have been postponed by one year and will be held from 23 July to 8 August, 2021. The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 were earlier scheduled to be held from 24 July to 9 August 2020. The decision to postpone the 32nd edition of the tournament was taken by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) along with the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Government of Japan. The decision has been taken by the IOC amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Click Here To Get Test Series For SBI PO 2020
The decision was taken on the basis of three main considerations:
- To protect the health of the athletes and everyone involved, and to support the containment of the COVID-19 virus.
- To safeguard the interests of the athletes and of Olympic sport.
- The global international sports calendar.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has decided to reschedule the Paralympic Games. The Paralympic Games will be held from 24 August to 5th September 2021. The Paralympic Games were earlier scheduled to be held from 25th August to 6th September 2020.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Prime Minister of Japan: Shinzo Abe; Capital: Tokyo; Currency: Japanese yen.
- President of International Olympic Committee (IOC): Thomas Bach.
- Tokyo 2020 President: Mori Yoshiro.