The 19th annual Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), India Zone-3 conference, will be inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, on February 23 at Gangtok, Sikkim. Governor of Sikkim, Lakshman Prasad Acharya, Chief Minister of Sikkim, Prem Singh Tamang, Deputy Chairman, Rajya Sabha, Harivansh, Presiding Officers of Legislative Bodies in India, Members of Parliament, Members of Sikkim Legislature and other dignitaries are scheduled to participate in the event.
More About The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) conference:
The two-day Conference will deliberate on many issues ranging from making parliament and assembly more accessible to the public. Drug abuse and the way forward and Cyber Bullying are the core issues, which will be discussed in this conference.
About Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) and CPA Zone-III:
- It is pertinent to note that till now, 18 Zonal Conferences have been held in the North Eastern States that include the Events of North East Region of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (NERCPA) and CPA Zone-III.
- The CPA Zone-III comprises of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- As CPA Zone-III, two Conferences have been held, i.e. Guwahati, Assam on 8 October 2018 and Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh on 12 and 13 May 2022.
- The CPA India Region comprises a total of 31 Legislatures, from Assam in the East to Gujarat in the West.
- After the Africa Region, India has the largest number of member branches of the CPA.
Om Birla: CPA India Regional Chairperson:
The executive committee of the CPA India Region consists of the CPA India Regional Chairperson and six members. Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla is its current Regional Chairperson.
Administratively, the CPA India Region is divided into 4 zones–
Zone -1: Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh Uttaranchal, West Bengal (8 Branches),
Zone -2: Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Puducherry (UT), Tamil Nadu, Telangana (8 Branches),
Zone- 3: Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura (8 Branches) and
Zone- 4: Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan (7 Branches).
- UAE Hosted First I2U2 Vice-Ministerial Meeting to Discuss Investment Opportunities
- Ellora Ajanta International Festival 2023 Held in Maharashtra