‘She Feeds the World’ program
PepsiCo Foundation, the philanthropic arm of PepsiCo and CARE, have launched ‘She Feeds the World’ program in India to strengthen the role of small-scale women producers through sustainable training and economic support. The program, which will be implemented in the Alipurduar and Cooch Behar districts of West Bengal, aims to reach out to more than 48,000 women, men and children and indirectly benefit 1,50,000 individuals.
‘She Feeds the World’ will drive impact for women farmers and their families across the three dimensions of a sustainable food system including economic, social and environmental. Socially, the project will promote more equitable access to knowledge, resources and inclusive markets for vulnerable farmers. From an environmental perspective, the project will tackle soil, water, biodiversity and carbon footprint issues to minimise impact on the natural ecosystem.
An overview of the news: She Feeds the World
- The program will be initially implemented inCoochbehar and Alipurduar districts of West Bengal.
- Under this initiative, PepsiCo has trained close to 1,500 women farmers in West Bengal on potato agronomy and other skills. It is expected that the program will impact more than 3,00,000 women through direct and community engagement.
- The main objective of this program is to increase crop yield, increase income of women of BPL families, ensure access to healthy and balanced diet as well as provide training to women on sustainable agriculture.
- Women will be empowered in the agriculture sector through the programme, which will primarily focus on small-scale women producers.
- In developing countries, women make up about half the number of men in agricultural work and work 13 hours more per week than men.
- Research shows that if women farmers are given the same access to resources as men, they can increase their farm yields by 20-30 percent, potentially reducing the number of hungry people in the world by 150 million can be reduced.
- PepsiCo Foundation CEO:Ramon Laguarta (3 Oct 2018–);
- PepsiCo Foundation Headquarters: Purchase, Harrison, New York, United States;
- PepsiCo Foundation Founded: 1965;
- PepsiCo Foundation President: Ramon Laguarta.