Mayank Kumar Agrawal, director general of Doordarshan and Doordarshan News, has been assigned additional responsibility as Prasar Bharati’s chief executive officer. Agrawal succeeds Shashi Shekhar Vempati, who served as CEO of the state broadcaster for five years. Following permission from Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur, the decision was made to grant the extra charge to the 1989-batch Indian Information Service official until further orders or regular appointment to the post.
- Shashi Shekhar Vempati’s five-year tenure as Prasar Bharati CEO came to an end, prompting the change. On the proposal of a three-member commission led by the then Vice-President, Mr. Vempati was selected as CEO of the public broadcaster in June 2017.
- Mr. Vempati, an IIT-Bombay graduate, was the first non-bureaucrat to hold the position since it was established in 1997.
- Working with seven ministers in the ministry of information and broadcasting over the last few years has been a rewarding experience.
- Dr. L Murugan, late Arun Jaitley, M Venkaiah Naidu, Smriti Irani, Rajyavardhan Rathore, Prakash Javadekar, Anurag Thakur Every step of the way, they have all led, mentored, and supported Mayank Kumar Agarwal.
- Vempati congratulated Agrawal, whom he called to as a dear colleague, and thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for allowing him to contribute to the nation during his five years as CEO of Prasar Bharati.
- Modi’s decision to hand responsibility (for the state broadcaster) to a rank outsider from the commercial sector, Vempati noted, was a leap of faith.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Information and Broadcasting Minister: Anurag Thakur