Professor Emeritus Wilfried Brutsaert has been named as the Stockholm Water Prize Laureate 2022. He has been awarded for his groundbreaking work to quantify environmental evaporation. Wilfried Brutsaert is Professor in Engineering Emeritus at Cornell University, USA. His innovative works on Evaporation and Hydrology are of lasting theoretical and practical importance, particularly in view of climate change. In addition, Wilfried Brutsaert has pioneered novel approaches to understanding changes in groundwater storage.
About the award:
- The Stockholm Water Prize is the world’s most prestigious water award and is often described as the Nobel Prize of water.
- The prestigious Prize has been awarded since 1991 to people and organizations for extraordinary water-related achievements.
- The Prize is awarded by the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) in cooperation with the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- SIWI Headquarters location: Stockholm, Sweden;
- SIWI Executive Director: Torgny Holmgren;
- SIWI Founded: 1991.