Sachin Tendulkar will continue as United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) ‘Goodwill Ambassador’ for a record 20th year, working for the welfare of underprivileged children. The iconic cricketer has been associated with UNICEF for a long for various causes. In his almost two-decade-long partnership with UNICEF, he has been vital in furthering the campaigns, especially the ones aimed at providing a better future for underprivileged children.
- In 2003, he was chosen to take lead in the initiative to create awareness and promote polio prevention in India.
- Later in 2008, he was roped in to create and promote hygiene and sanitation among communities and has been continuing to do so over the years.
- In 2013, he was appointed UNICEF Ambassador for South Asia to advocate good hygiene and sanitation across the region.
- In 2019, he went on a three-day trip to Nepal to raise awareness for UNICEF Nepal’s ‘Bat for Brain Development’ campaign.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- UNICEF Headquarters: New York, New York, United States;
- UNICEF Head: Catherine M. Russell;
- UNICEF President: Tore Hattrem;
- UNICEF Founded: 11 December 1946.