President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Satya Pal Malik as the Governor of Meghalaya with effect from 18 August 2020. Prior to this, He was serving as the Governor of Goa.
Satya Pal Malik replaced Tathagata Roy who completed his 5-year term by serving as governor of Tripura for 3 years and remaining in Meghalaya. Apart from this, Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari has been given additional charge as the Governor of Goa, in addition to his own duties.
About Satya Pal Malik as a Governor:
- He served as the Governor of Bihar.
- He served as the Governor of the erstwhile state of Jammu & Kashmir from August 2018 to October 2019. During his tenure, the constitutional decision to abrogate Article 370, which gave special status to J&K, was taken in August 2019.
- He was appointed as the Governor of Goa in October 2019.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Meghalaya National Park: Balphakram National Park, Nokrek National Park.
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya: Conrad Kongkal Sangma.