Home   »   Business Current Affairs & News   »   SBI To Acquire 20% Stake In...

SBI To Acquire 20% Stake In SBI Pension Fund

 

The State Bank of India (SBI) has unveiled plans to enhance its position in the financial landscape by acquiring an additional 20% stake in SBI Pension Funds. This move is part of the bank’s broader strategy to strengthen its presence in key sectors and capitalize on the growing opportunities within the financial services industry.

Transaction Overview

SBI, already holding a majority 60% stake in SBI Pension Funds, aims to increase its ownership to 80% through a transaction valued at ₹229.52 crore.This strategic acquisition will be executed in an “arm’s length basis,” with due diligence based on the valuation report from M/s Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India. The remaining 20% stake in SBI Pension Funds is currently held by SBI Funds Management.

Regulatory Approvals

In a regulatory statement, SBI highlighted that both the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) have given their approval for the planned acquisition. This underscores the regulatory compliance and strategic alignment of the move with industry standards.

Transaction Timelines

SBI aims to conclude the acquisition process by December 15, signaling a swift progression after securing approvals from the RBI and the PFRDA. The bank’s decisive approach underscores its commitment to swiftly adapt to market dynamics and capitalize on strategic opportunities.

Financial Health of SBI Pension Funds

As of October 30, 2023, SBI Pension Funds boasts an impressive Asset Under Management (AUM) of ₹3.83 lakh crore and a Profit After Tax (PAT) of ₹35.03 crore. This solid financial foundation positions the pension fund as a valuable asset for SBI’s portfolio.

Background on SBI Pension Funds

Established in 2007, SBI Pension Funds holds a significant role as the appointed pension fund manager within the National Pension System. The fund is entrusted with the responsibility of overseeing the pension corpus, reflecting its pivotal role in the country’s financial landscape.

Important Questions Related to Exams

Q. What is the current ownership stake of SBI in SBI Pension Funds, and what percentage does it aim to achieve through the transaction?

Answer: SBI currently holds a 60% stake in SBI Pension Funds, and the bank aims to increase its ownership to 80% through the planned acquisition.

Q. When was SBI Pension Funds established, and what role does it play within the National Pension System?

Answer: SBI Pension Funds was established in 2007 and holds the role of the appointed pension fund manager within the National Pension System, overseeing the pension corpus.

Q. Which regulatory bodies have given their approval for the planned acquisition, and what does this approval signify?

Answer: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) have given their approval for the acquisition. This approval underscores regulatory compliance and strategic alignment with industry standards.

Find More Business News Here

 

SBI To Acquire 20% Stake In SBI Pension Fund_40.1

 

SBI To Acquire 20% Stake In SBI Pension Fund_50.1

TOPICS: