Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shah inaugurated Mega Dairy at Mandya in Karnataka. The mega dairy inaugurated at a cost of Rs 260 crore would process 10 lakh liters of milk per day and the will have the capacity to increase it upto 14 lakh liters per day. 10 lakh liters of milk is processed, prosperity reaches the homes of lakhs of farmers. There are 15,210 village level cooperative dairies in Karnataka, in which about 26.22 lakh farmers deliver their milk daily and through 16 district level dairies, Rs 28 crore is deposited into the accounts of 26 lakh farmers every day.
- Around 66,000 kg milk used to be processed daily in Karnataka in 1975 while today over 82 lakh kg milk is processed daily and 80% of the total turnover goes to the farmer.
- Amul and Nandini will work together towards establishing primary dairies in every village of Karnataka in next three years.
- The Karnataka Milk Federation (KMF) will get all technical support and cooperation from Amul.
- The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) and the Ministry of Cooperation will establish a primary dairy in every panchayat of the country in the next three years.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- National Dairy Development Board Headquarters location: Anand;
- National Dairy Development Board Founded: 1965;
- National Dairy Development Board Founder: Verghese Kurien;
- National Dairy Development Board Chairman: Meenesh Shah.