Indian Air Force
World Directory of Modern Military Aircraft (WDMMA) has released the World Air Powers Ranking of 2022. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has been placed at the third position on the World Air Power Index in terms of the total fighting strength of the various air services of different nations of the world. This report has placed the Indian Air Force (IAF) above the Chinese Aviation based armed forces (PLAAF), Japan Air Self-Preservation Power (JASDF), Israeli Aviation based armed forces, and French Air and Space Power. The report says that the Indian Air Force (IAF) currently counts 1,645 total units in its active aircraft inventory.
Key points of World Air Power Index 2022:
- The Global Air Powers Ranking (2022) report has given the highest TvR score to the United States Air Force (USAF). It comprises a broad mix of aircraft types and many products are locally sourced from the massive industrial base of the country. The highest attainable TvR score is 242.9 held by the United States Air Force (USAF).
- In addition, it maintains dedicated strategic-level bombers, a sizeable helo, CAS aircraft, fighter force and hundreds of transport aircraft and the USAF will be reinforced in the coming days with hundreds of units still on order.
- The report has evaluated the total fighting strength of the various air forces of different nations of the world and ranked them accordingly. Currently, WDMMA is following 98 nations, covering 124 air administrations and following 47,840 aeroplanes.
How Does WDMMA Prepare Its Report?
- The formula produces the ‘TrueValueRating’ (TvR), which helps WDMMA separate each power based on the overall strength and factors like modernisation, logistical support, attack and defence capabilities.
- Factors like modernization, logistical support, attack and defence capabilities are being considered. Thus, the military air power of a country is not ranked only on the basis of its total quantity of aircraft but it also considers its quality and components of inventory.
- WDMMA states that the concept of TvR is under process and it keeps on updating as per the requirement.
- Importance is mainly given to those categories which are normally overlooked by some powers, namely special-mission, dedicated bomber force, CAS, training and on-order units. It also focuses on local aero-industry capabilities, inventory balance (general mix of unit types) and force experience.