World Pangolin Day is celebrated on the “Third Saturday of February” every year. In 2022, the annual World Pangolin Day is being celebrated on 19 February 2022. It marks the 11th edition of the event. The day aims to raise awareness about these unique mammals and speed up conservation efforts. Pangolin numbers are rapidly declining in Asia and Africa.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Some facts about Pangolin:
- Pangolins are the only mammal to be covered in scales.
- To protect themselves, they curl into balls like hedgehogs.
- Their name comes from the Malay word ‘pengguling’ meaning ‘something that rolls up’.
- They are the most smuggled mammal in the world because people want their meat and scales.
- A pangolin’s tongue can be longer than its body when fully extended is can be 40 cm long!