The national capital has got its first transgender councillor after Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP), Bobby Kinnar has won the civic polls from Sultanpuri-A ward. Bobby Kinnar (38) was given a ticket from Sultanpuri A (ward 43) seat. She has been associated with AAP since the Anna movement and later when the party was formed. She won the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) seat from Sultanpuri. Bobby defeated Congress candidate Varuna Dhaka by a margin of 6,714 votes.
Past career of Bobby Kinnar:
- Earlier, Bobby had contested the civic polls in 2017 as an independent candidate. While campaigning for the polls, the AAP candidate had promised to take the Kejriwal government’s work to the public and work towards ending corruption if she becomes a councillor.
- Bobby is also the president ‘Hindu Yuva Samaj Ekta Awam Anti-Terrorism Committee’ Delhi unit. She has been associated with this organisation for the last 15 years.
- Bobby is famous in Sultanpuri because of her extensive social work. Bobi is the president of the Delhi unit of the Hindu Yuva Samaj Ekta Awam Anti-Terrorism Committee.
- At the age of 14-15, Bobby was taken by the transgender community and then she became a wedding dancer. From there, her/their journey to politics was through social work.
- In Delhi Municipal Corporation election Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has crossed the 126 majority mark to unseat Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP)’s 15 year dominance.