Adar Poonawalla gets Patangrao Kadam award
Devendra Fadnavis, the deputy chief minister of Maharashtra, honours Adar Poonawalla with Patangrao Kadam award for vaccine work. Devendra Fadnavis also praised Serum Institute of India and its CEO Adar Poonawalla on Sunday for their work in the fight against COVID-19.
Adar Poonawalla gets Patangrao Kadam award: Key Points
- ‘Patangrao Kadam was a leader who founded 190 institutes to deliver great education and generate quality human resources.’
- Sharad Pawar, the leader of the Nationalist Congress Party, and Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, the chief minister of Himachal Pradesh, both attended the ceremony.
- As SII has produced 160 vaccinations, Adar Poonawalla is continuing his father Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla’s legacy, according to Pawar.
- The chief minister of HP requested that Bharti Vidyapeeth and SII establish facilities in his state.
About Serum Institute of India (SII):
- The Serum Institute of India was established in 1966 in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Serum Institute of India (SII) is a Pune-based biotechnology and biopharmaceuticals company in India.
- It is the largest producer of vaccinations in the world. It is a part of the Cyrus Poonawalla Group and was created by him in 1966.
What all SII produce including Vaccine?
- The company started out to create immunobiologicals, which were expensively imported into India.
- Tetanus antitoxin, snake venom, the DPT vaccine, and the MMR vaccine were some of the first goods the Serum Institute of India produced in substantial quantities.
- The company’s product lines were expanded to include several vaccinations against bacterial or viral illnesses, combination vaccines, influenza vaccines, and meningococcal vaccines.
- The company also produces antisera, blood plasma, and hormone products in addition to vaccines.
- As of 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, and the Pan American Health Organization employed the vaccines produced by the Serum Institute of India in their global immunization campaigns (PAHO).
- The Poonawalla Group currently oversees the Serum Institute of India, which conducts research, development, and manufacturing.