Chess Olympiad 2026: According to a tweet from the International Chess Federation (FIDE), Uzbekistan will host the 2026 Chess Olympiad. In Chennai’s ongoing Chess Olympiad, their young team is now in the lead. Teams from around the world compete in the Chess Olympiad, a biennial chess competition. The event is organised by FIDE, which also chooses the host nation. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, FIDE hosted an online chess tournament in 2020 and 2021 with a quick time limit that harmed competitors’ online ratings.
About Chess Olympiad 2026:
- Each chess association recognized by FIDE is permitted to enter a team into the Olympiad.
- Up to five players can make up a team: four active players and one reserve. Each team used to play every other team at first, but as the event developed over time, this became impossible.
- Prior to the competition, teams were first seeded. Later, once several flaws in seeding were discovered, a Swiss tournament system was implemented in 1976.
- The Hamilton-Russell Cup, presented by English tycoon Frederick Hamilton-Russell as a prize for the first Olympiad, is the trophy for the winning team in the open division (London 1927).
- The victorious team keeps the cup until the following competition, after which it is given to the subsequent victor.