Chinese President Xi Jinping:
Chinese President Xi Jinping has created history, becoming the first leader of the ruling Communist Party after party founder Mao Zedong to get re-elected for an unprecedented third term in power with the prospect of ruling China for life. He was elected as General Secretary of the Communist Party for 3rd five-year tenure by the new seven-member Standing Committee packed with his supporters who appeared before the local and foreign media here to herald the new era, widely termed ‘Xi era’.
Notably: Xi’s “election” for the third term in power formally ends the over three decades of rule followed by his predecessors, barring Mao, of retiring after a 10-year tenure. Xi was first elected in 2012 and will be completing his 10-year term this year.
Chinese President Xi Jinping: Others points:
- With moderates like Premier Li Keqiang, who was ranked number two, eased out in the election to over 300-member Central Committee by the once-in-a-five-year Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC), the Committee which met on Sunday elected a 25-member Political Bureau.
- The Political Bureau elected a seven-member Standing Committee, which in turn elected Xi for a third five-year term as General Secretary.
- Xi was elected to the Central Committee, to the Political Bureau and the Standing Committee and then as General Secretary with relative ease as the Congress passed the key amendment to the Party’s constitution reinforcing his “core” status with the directive that all party members have the “obligation” to follow his directives and doctrines.
- Observers say Xi’s emergence as the most powerful leader as President, party leader and head of the military with the prospect of being a leader for life in the footsteps of Mao, whose extremist ideological campaigns like the Cultural Revolution resulting the extermination of millions, is widely expected to be viewed with sense of unease and concern as the one-party state has now become a one-leader state.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- China Capital: Beijing
- China Population: 140.21 crores (2020) World Bank
- China Currency: Renminbi
- China Official language: Mandarin