Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Limited (CMPDIL) has invented a “System and Method for Controlling Generation and Movement of Fugitive Dust” and obtained a patent for the same in December 2022.
This system is developed to be used in mines, thermal power plants, railway sidings, ports, and construction sites where coal and other minerals or fugitive materials are stored in the open sky. The system will reduce the dust generation from open source as well as provide noise attenuation.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
CMPDIL Invents New Dust Control Technology for Sites Producing Fugitive Materials- Key Points
- Coal/Lignite PSUs under the Ministry of Coal consistently strive to produce quality coal in an environmentally responsible manner to meet the energy needs of the country.
- Coal/Lignite PSUs are adopting various measures to prevent or mitigate air pollution caused by coal mining and allied activities.
- The present invention is related to the synchronized application of windbreaks (WB) and vertical greenery systems (VGS) for reducing the generation and dispersion of fugitive dust.
- The WB and VGS are erected in the upwind and downwind direction concerning the fugitive dust source.
- The WB will reduce the speed of wind approaching the source and hence, reduce the intensity of the ambient air to pick up dust while blowing over the source.
- The VGS acts as a filter and reduces the quantity of residual dust moving along with the wind toward the receptors in the down-wind direction.
- There is a significant reduction in the concentration of dust in the ambient air at various receptors located in the down-wind direction.
What is Fugitive Dust?
Fugitive dust is a form of particulate matter that contributes to air pollution that is generated from various sources which are exposed to air and not discharged into the atmosphere through a confined flow stream.