India’s shuttler P V Sindhu has clinched a gold medal in the final of women’s single at the Commonwealth Games 2022. The double Olympic medalist beat Michelle Li of Canada to win the Gold. PV Sindhu beat Michelle Li by 21-15, 21-13. This is the first-ever Commonwealth Games singles gold of Sindhu’s career.
About the Pusarla Venkata Sindhu:
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (born 5 July 1995) is an Indian badminton player. A former world champion, Sindhu, who has a silver and a bronze from the 2018 and 2014 editions, was clearly the better player on display as she kept a firm grip on the match.
- She represented India at the 2016 Summer Olympics (Rio), where she became the first Indian badminton player to reach the Olympic final. She won the silver medal after losing out to Spain’s Carolina Marin.
- She made her second consecutive Olympic appearance at the 2020 Summer Olympics (Tokyo) and won a bronze medal, becoming the first-ever Indian woman to win two Olympic medals.
- Sindhu won her first superseries title at the 2016 China Open and followed it up with four more finals in 2017, winning the titles in South Korea and India.
- She is a recipient of the sports honours Arjuna Award and Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna, as well as India’s fourth highest civilian award, the Padma Shri. She was also honoured with the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award in India, in January 2020.