The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), under the aegis of India’s G20 presidency, is hosting the G20 Standards Dialogue 2023. The 2-day event commenced at the iconic Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi. Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Environment, Forest & Climate Change, inaugurated the event.
Inauguration and Theme
- G20 Standards Dialogue 2023 is being organized in collaboration with the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry of the Government of India.
- The theme of this G20 Standards Dialogue is ‘Zero Defect Zero Effect,’ which reflects the critical role that standards play in our global community. The program has participation from across the world. This dialogue will guide the world for the best utilization of resources for a sustainable future.
The Significance of Standards
- Minister Choubey mentioned that standards are critical for ensuring quality, facilitating global trade, guiding innovation, sustainability, and inclusivity.
- Shri Rohit Kumar Singh, Secretary Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI, delivered the keynote address and reiterated the essential role that standards play in our lives, ensuring quality and facilitating global trade.
Global Perspectives on Standards
- Sergio Mujica, Secretary-General, International Organisation for Standardization (ISO), virtually participated in the event and highlighted the importance of standardization in increasing global capabilities worldwide. He emphasized that standards benefit both the global community and businesses.
- Philippe Metzger, the Secretary-General & CEO of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), emphasized the tireless contribution of establishing and upholding standards and how these benchmarks shape various aspects of our daily lives.
BIS’s Role in Shaping the Future
- Shri Pramod Kumar Tiwari, Director General, BIS, discussed the concept of the G20 Standards Dialogue and its potential in facilitating productive discussions, gaining valuable insights, and addressing future challenges.
- He stated that the dialogue is engaging G20 member countries, alongside the World Standards Cooperation, to forge a path towards a more sustainable, inclusive, and regulated future, aligning with the broader vision of ‘Zero Defect and Zero Effect.’
Promoting Sustainability and Regulatory Excellence
- As per BIS, the dialogue provides a platform for industry leaders, government officials, standards professionals, regulators, and policy makers to congregate and foster advancements in standardization and global regulatory environments.
- It aims to align with the G20 vision of ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future’ and establish a foundation of standards to make this vision a reality. With a strong emphasis on sustainability, regulatory excellence, and stakeholder engagement, the event is set to shape the standards of tomorrow.
High-ranking Officials and Sustainability Focus
- The opening day of the event witnessed the presence of high-ranking officials from the Government of India and the World Standards Cooperation, followed by a session on Standards for Sustainability.
- Today, sessions on Technical Regulations and Good Regulatory Practices, as well as Stakeholder Engagement for Standardization, all aimed at promoting sustainable development, economic stability, and inclusive collaboration in the standardization process were conducted.