Union Environment Minister, Prakash Javadekar has launched National Portal on Human-Elephant conflict called “SURAKHSYA”. The portal aims to collect real-time information and will also manage conflicts on a real-time basis. The portal will help to set data collection protocols, data visualization tools and data transmission pipelines.
The National Portal was launched during the celebration of international annual event World Elephant Day. The World Elephant Day is celebrated every year on August 12 to create elephant conservation and share knowledge for better protection of wild captive elephants. The portal will help to set data collection protocols, data visualization tools and data transmission pipelines.
Boost your Banking Awareness Knowledge with Adda247 Live Batch: WARRIOR 2.0 | Banking Awareness Batch for SBI, RRB, RBI and IBPS Exams
About Project Elephant
- The Project Elephant was launched in 1992 by the Ministry of Environment and Forest.
- The project aims to provide financial and technical support to wildlife management. It aims to make sure long-term survival of elephant populations in the natural habitats.
- The project also supports research in the management of elephants and providing veterinary care and also conservation among local people.
- The Asian Elephants are listed as “Endangered” in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List. This is mainly because most of the Asian countries except India have lost their elephant population due to loss of habitats and poaching.
- There are 50,000 to 60,000 Asian Elephants. Of these, 60% are in India.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- IUCN Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland.
- IUCN CEO: Grethel Aguilar.
- IUCN Founder: Julian Huxley.
- IUCN Founded: 5 October 1948.