The Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K), has developed a wearable hand band Known as the “Veli Band” that helps in maintaining social distancing by sending out an alarm in case of proximity with another person.
The device has been developed by Qual5 India Pvt.Ltd, a startup co-founded by a woman entrepreneur, mentored and funded by IIMKs business incubator and entrepreneurship development centre.
About Veli Band:
- Veli Band helps implement social distancing and location/contact tracing which can help organisations comply with social distancing norms during the current pandemic situation.
- The band momentarily vibrates, sounds buzzer, and flashes LED simultaneously to notify wearers that another band is within 3 feet (1 metre), reminding them of the need to maintain social distance.
- The device, to be worn on the wrist, can anonymously keep track of interactions with other devices and thus not only help in maintaining a safer workplace but also aid in tracking employee movements in real-time.
- The band comes with a rechargeable battery and uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology for detection.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chairman of IIM-K: A. Vellayan.
- IIM-K Headquarters: Kozhikode, Kerala.