Indian para-athletes achieved a historic milestone at the Asian Para Games in Hangzhou with India achieving their most impressive medal count to date, amassing a total of 111 medals: 29 gold, 31 silver, and 51 bronze. Dilip Mahadu Gavit secured 100th medal in the competition by wining a gold medal in Men’s 400m.
Dilip Mahadu Gavit’s Gold in Men’s 400m T47
Dilip Mahadu Gavit, an Indian para-athlete, secured 100th medal in the competition by claiming a gold medal in the Men’s 400m T47 event. Gavit’s extraordinary performance was highlighted by his impressive run time of 49.48 seconds. This gold medal win not only marked a personal triumph for Gavit but also played a pivotal role in propelling India to their 100th medal at the Asian Para Games.
Historic Achievement for Indian Para Contingent
The 4th Asian Para Games in Hangzhou saw Indian para-athletes surpassing the 100-medal milestone for the first time. India’s previous best performance at the Asian Para Games occurred in 2018 in Jakarta when the contingent secured a total of 72 medals.
Continued Success on the Final Day
On the last day of the Asian Para Games, the flurry of medals continued for India.
- Rowers Anita and Narayana Konganapalle secured a silver medal in the PR3 Mixed Doubles Sculls event.
- Suyansh Narayan Jadhav had previously won India’s first gold medal in swimming.
- Solairaj Dharmaraj set a new Asian and Games record in the Men’s Long Jump T64 category with a leap of 6.80m.
Friday’s Medal Haul
The para-athletes had a remarkable day on Friday, securing a total of 17 medals, including 7 gold, 6 silver, and 4 bronze medals. Some notable achievements included:
- Sheetal Devi’s gold in Archery, Dharmaraj Solairaj’s gold in the men’s long jump T-64 event, and golds in badminton by Nitesh Kumar and Tarun in men’s doubles SL3-SL4.
- Pramod Bhagat and Nitesh Kumar dominated the men’s Badminton singles SL3 tournament, winning gold and silver, respectively.
- Thulasimathi secured gold in the Badminton women’s singles SU5 division.
Raman Sharma’s Gold in Men’s 1500m T-38
Earlier in the competition, Raman Sharma clinched gold in the men’s 1500m T-38 event, clocking a time of 4:20.80.
Para-Athletes’ Triumph: Inspiring Dedication and Proving Potential
The achievements of these para-athletes reflect the incredible dedication, talent, and determination within India’s para-sporting community and provide inspiration to people across the nation. This historic achievement at the Asian Para Games is a testament to the potential that exists within the country’s para-athletic community.