The Defence Research and Development Organisation and Indian Army successfully flight-tested a new version of the Pinaka rocket system at the Pokhran firing ranges. These included Pinaka Mk-I (Enhanced) Rocket System (EPRS) and Pinaka Area Denial Munition (ADM) rocket systems. With these trails, the initial phase of technology absorption of EPRS by the industry has successfully been completed and the industry partners are ready for user trials/series production of the rocket system.
The Pinaka rocket system has been developed by DRDO lab- Armament Research and Development Establishment, Pune in collaboration with High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, Pune.
About the EPRS system:
- The EPRS is the upgraded version of the Pinaka variant, which has been in service with the Indian Army for the last decade. The system has been upgraded with advanced technologies enhancing the range to meet the emerging requirements.
- After establishing the performance efficacy of the enhanced range version of Pinaka, the technology was transferred to the industries viz. Munitions India Limited (MIL) and Economic Explosives Limited Nagpur.
- Rockets manufactured by MIL under Transfer of Technology from DRDO were flight tested during this campaign. Different variants of munitions and fuzes which can be used in the Pinaka rocket system were also successfully test evaluated in the Pokhran Field Firing Range.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chairman DRDO: Dr G Satheesh Reddy;
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi;
- DRDO Established: 1958.