Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO) Chief, Kailasavadivoo Sivan has named for Von Karman Award 2020 by the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA). The Von Karman Award is known as the highest distinction of the IAA. Dr K. Sivan is going to receive an award in March 2021 at Paris France.
Prof. Udupi Ramachandra Rao was the first Indian to receive the von Karman award. The award was presented to him in 2005 and Dr Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan received the Von Karman award in 2007.
About von Karman Award:
- The International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) was also founded by Von Karman who was the first President of the organization which is committed to expanding the frontiers in space.
- The Von Karman award was established in 1982 and is the premier award of the Academy.
- It is given annually to recognize outstanding lifetime achievements in any branch of science without limit of nationality or gender.
- The award honours the memory of the Academy’s founder and first President, a scientist of the highest international reputation.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) Founder: Dr Theodore Von Karman.
- International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) Headquarters: Paris, France.