Jishnu Barua has become the new chairperson of power regulator Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC). Barua has been appointed chairperson of the CERC on February 27, 2023. Barua was chief secretary of Assam from October 2020 to August 2022. Prior to this, he had been additional chief secretary to Assam looking after various departments of the state from August 2017 to October 2020.
Post-retirement, Barua held the charge of chairperson of Assam Power Distribution Company Ltd. Barua holds M.Phil degree in Defence and Strategic Studies, PG (History) Degree and Graduation (Philosphy) degree. During his interaction with the new CERC chairperson, Singh commended the good work done by him during his stint as chairperson of the Assam Power Distribution Company Ltd and said that the power system in the country has improved significantly in recent years.
About the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC)
- The CERC has been established by the government of India under the provisions of the Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1998. CERC is the central commission for the purposes of the Electricity Act, 2003 which has repealed the ERC Act, 1998.
- The commission consists of a chairperson and four other members, including Chairperson, Central Electricity Authority, who is the ex-officio member of the commission.
- Major functions of CERC under the Act are, inter-alia, to regulate the tariff of generating companies owned or controlled by the central government, to regulate the tariff of other generating companies having a composite scheme for generation and sale of electricity in more than one state, to regulate the inter-state transmission of electricity and to determine tariff for such transmission of electricity, etc.
- Under the Act, CERC shall also advise the central government on formulation of national electricity policy and tariff policy; promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of electricity industry; promotion of investment in electricity industry; and any other matter referred to the central commission by the government.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) Founded:24 July 1998;
- Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) Headquarters: New Delhi.
You may also read this:
- Vishal Sharma appointed as Godrej industries CEO-designate of its chemicals business
- Rajesh Malhotra named principal director general of PIB