At Raxaul in Bihar, the union minister for health and family welfare and Chemicals and Fertilizers Mr. Mansukh Mandaviya, inaugurated the National Food Laboratory of FSSAI. Under the bilateral agreement between Indo-Nepal, this laboratory was established to reduce the time of testing of food samples imported from Nepal to Raxaul. The testing of food was a time taking because the food samples with legal sanity were sent to the National Food Laboratory of Kolkata. The minister of agriculture and livestock development in, the Government of Nepal, Mahendra Rai Yadav, was also present at the inauguration ceremony of the food laboratory.
- Mr. Mandaviya addressed the occasion and said that the inauguration of the Food Laboratory will increase the scope of Nepal to import more food products to India and connect both the countries with each other by trading more efficiently.
- He also said that the food laboratory will be accredited by July-August of this year by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL). The laboratory will start testing samples of cereals, fats and oils, spices, fruits, vegetables, and packaged drinking water very soon.
- He said that India will provide assistance to get National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) accreditation to the Kathmandu Food Lab if needed.
- The inauguration of the Food Laboratory in Raxaul was a constant request of the exporters from Nepal, which the Indian government now fulfills in 2022.
- The inauguration of the National Food Laboratory has fulfilled the wishes of the neighboring country and it shows the commitment of India to improving the relationship between the two countries, making it a strong bond economically and improving the connection between both the countries.