The Logistics Ease Across Different States 2021 Index was recently published by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. This is the third edition of Index. In the index, Gujarat, Haryana and Punjab were emerged as best performing states with respect to mobility of goods and efficiency of logistics chain. This index provide ranking to states on the basis of logistics infrastructure.
Key Points of the Index:
- Gujarat, Haryana and Punjab are the best performing states (Top 3 slot respectively)
- Tamil Nadu (4th) and Maharashtra (5th) are among the top-5 slot.
- Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand have witnessed a significant improvement as compared to the 2019 LEADS ranking. These states have emerged as the top improvers.
For representation purposes, states were ranked in three separate classes:
- North Eastern States
- Himalayan UTs’ and
- ‘Other UTs’ group:
- Within Himalayan UTs, Jammu & Kashmir emerged as the top rankers.
- In the North-Eastern States, Sikkim and Meghalaya emerged as toppers.
- Delhi was ranked at the top position among the “other United Territories” category.
About the Index:
The Logistic Ease Across Different States (LEADS) index was launched in 2018. It was developed by the Commerce and Industry Ministry. The index ranks states in terms of logistical support to promote goods trade. The ranking is done on the basis of parameters like the competitiveness of pricing, availability of infrastructure and services. It aims to encourage states for providing policy in order to improve their logistics-related infrastructure.