The NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg has announced the appointment of a group of experts on 31 March 2020. This group to support his work in a reflection process to further strengthen NATO’s political dimension.
The following people have been appointed to the group:
- Greta Bossenmaier (Canada)
- Anja Dalgaard-Nielsen (Denmark)
- Hubert Védrine (France)
- Thomas de Maiziere (Germany)
- Marta Dassu (Italy)
- Herna Verhagen (The Netherlands)
- Anna Fotyga (Poland)
- Tacan Ildem (Turkey)
- John Bew (United Kingdom)
- Wess Mitchell (United States)
The group of five men and five women will be co-chaired by former German defence minister Thomas de Maziere and Washington’s former top diplomat for Europe, Wess Mitchell and will report to the Secretary-General. The panel will offer recommendations to reinforce alliance unity, increase political consultation and coordination between allies, and strengthen NATO’s political role.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Member countries of NATO: 30; Founded: 4 April 1949.
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.