Who is Neal Mohan?
An Indian-American, Neal Mohan will become the next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Alphabet-owned YouTube following Susan Wojcicki’s announcement that she will be stepping down from her role as the head of the video-sharing platform. With this, Mohan will be joining the elite list of global tech chiefs of Indian origin such as Google parent Alphabet’s Sundar Pichai, Microsoft’s Satya Nadella, IBM’s Arvind Krishna, and Adobe’s Shantanu Narayen.
Career of Neal Mohan
- Neal Mohan started his career at Accenture in 1996 and then joined a startup called NetGravity which was subsequently acquired by online advertising firm DoubleClick.
- The 49-year-old Neal Mohan holds a bachelors degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University and an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business where he was an Arjay Miller Scholar, an award given to the top 10 percent of the class who have received the highest grade point averages (GPA).
- In 2007, DoubleClick was bought by Google. Neal Mohan played a key role in advancing Google’s advertising products, including AdWords, AdSense, and DoubleClick.
- A Stanford graduate, 49-year-old Neal Mohan has been serving as YouTube’s chief product officer since 2015.
- Neal Mohan has also had a stint with Microsoft where he was the manager of corporate strategy.
- He sits on the board of American personal styling service Stitch Fix and Biotech company 23andMe.
- In addition, Mohan leads YouTube’s trust and safety team that oversees the creation and enforcement of platform policies and community guidelines governing the content available on the platform.
Why Susan Wojcicki’ resigns?
Wojcicki says she left her role for personal reasons. In her blog post, she said she is starting a new chapter focused on her family, health and passion projects. She is also mother to five children and has always been open about sharing her experience juggling the demands of her job with motherhood.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- YouTube Founders: Jawed Karim, Chad Hurley, Steve Chen;
- YouTube Founded: 14 February 2005, San Mateo, California, United States;
- YouTube Headquarters: San Bruno, California, United States;
- YouTube Parent organization: Google.
You may also read this:
- Hyundai Motors India signs two more women cricketers as ambassadors
- ICAI named Aniket Sunil Talati as new President