‘Prawn Fair’ (Shrimp Mela) at Punjab
Punjab Government has organized its first state-level ‘Prawn Fair’ (Shrimp mela). This “Prawn Fair” or Shrimp mela is an effort of the state government to create awareness about shrimp farming. Shrimp farming is an aquaculture-based activity in marine or freshwater to produce shrimp for human consumption. By 2022-23, a total of 1,212 acres of land has been taken up for shrimp farming in southwest Punjab, with a total production of 2,413 tonnes of shrimp.
‘Prawn Fair’ (Shrimp Mela): Significance
The Shrimp mela is being organized to make farmers aware of the various fish farming schemes and encourage more people to join it. It will be held at the farmers’ training center at Enakhera village, where successful farmers will share their stories.
‘Prawn Fair’ (Shrimp Mela): Schemes for shrimp farmers
- Various schemes under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) started in 2021 and will run till 2025 to promote the ‘blue revolution’.
- The project cost for a fishpond on 2.5 acres of land has been earmarked at Rs 14 lakh under this project, out of which general category farmers get a 40% subsidy, while those from SC/ST communities get 60%.
- Women and cooperative societies run by women also get a 60% subsidy. The same amount of subsidy is provided for purchasing and setting up cold storage/ice plants, buying refrigerated vehicles to market shrimps, and for motorcycles or bicycles with an ice box.
- The cost of these products has been mentioned by the government on the PMMSY website, and the subsidy is provided based on that. One can also set up a fish feed mill and even fish value-added enterprise units and avail of the subsidy.
- Strict Anti-Copying Law comes into force in Uttarakhand: Know all the details
- Matsya Setu App’s Aqua Bazaar function introduced by Govt
- PSEB 12th Result 2023