Rishi Sunak to take Oath as PM of UK: Rishi Sunak will be named as the PM of UK, and he will be the first British Prime Minister of Indian descent. In a remarkable shift of power during an economic crisis. In the midst of a “deep economic dilemma,” the future prime minister of the UK, Rishi Sunak, has called for cooperation.
Rishi Sunak to take Oath as PM of UK: Key Points
- Due to Penny Mordaunt’s inability to garner enough support from MPs, he won the race for the Conservative Party leadership.
- Rishi Sunak declared that uniting his party and the UK would be his utmost priority in his opening statement.
- Rishi Sunak, 42, is the first British Asian prime minister since more than 200 years and will also be the youngest.
- He succeeds Liz Truss, who resigned last week barely 45 days into her turbulent premiership.
Rishi Sunak Youngest UK PM: Highlights
- The departing prime minister will speak outside No. 10 after presiding over her final cabinet meeting at 9:00 BST before making her way to Buckingham Palace for her final visit with the King.
- After that, Mr. Rishi Sunak will have his first meeting with the king, at which he will be given the opportunity to establish a government.
- Rishi Sunak took over as Conservative Party leader after his old employer Boris Johnson cancelled his attempt to make a comeback and his competitor Penny Mordaunt was unable to win enough support from Conservative MPs.
- Sunak will be the nation’s youngest prime minister in more than 200 years.
- He succeeds Liz Truss, who had to resign in disgrace when her tax-cutting schemes failed within two months.
- Even before Truss’s tax-cutting budget sent shockwaves through the market and caused the pound to plummet, the economy he inherited was on the verge of entering a recession.
- After being forced to resign as Prime Minister in part because Mr. Rishi Sunak resigned as Chancellor, Boris Johnson may not be given a position in his cabinet.
- The parents of Mr. Rishi Sunak are of Indian descent and arrived in the UK in the 1960s via East Africa.
- He is wed to Akshata Murty, who is the daughter of Infosys founder Narayana Murthy.