Senior Diplomat Ruchira Kamboj, currently Indian ambassador to Bhutan, has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations at New York. She will succeed TS Tirumurti as the Indian ambassador to the United Nation. Ministry of External Affairs said, Ruchira Kamboj is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
During her career:
- Kamboj, who joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1987, was the All India women’s topper of the 1987 Civil Services batch and the topper of the 1987 Foreign Service batch.
- She began her diplomatic journey in Paris, France, where she was posted as the Third Secretary in the Indian Embassy to France from 1989-91 and learnt French there.
- She has been Permanent Representative of India to UNESCO in Paris, Indian High Commissioner in South Africa, and Chief of Protocol in New Delhi.
- From 2011-2014, she was India’s Chief of Protocol, the first and only woman diplomat so far in the Indian government to have held this position.
- She has also served in Mauritius, Cape Town in South Africa as India’s Consul General, and at the Commonwealth Secretariat in London.