Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the programme of physical distribution of Property Cards under the SVAMITVA scheme through video conferencing. The Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas (SVAMITVA) is a Central Sector Scheme, which was launched in April 2020 to provide the ‘record of rights to document the residential properties’ to village household owners in rural areas and issue Property Cards.
- ‘SVAMITVA Scheme’ will help in strengthening the Panchayati Raj system for which efforts are underway for the past 6 years.
- The scheme will allow the villagers to use the property as a financial asset for taking loans and other economic and financial benefits.
- The scheme is being implemented in a phased manner over a period of four years (2020-2024) and would eventually cover around 6.62 lakh villages of the country.
- In Phase-I people from 763 villages of 6 states, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Karnataka will be the beneficiary of the ‘SVAMITVA’scheme.
- About one lakh property owners will be able to download property cards from the link received through SMS on their mobile phones. The respective state governments will distribute physical cards.