The Tokyo Olympics 2020 came to an end on August 08, 2021. The international multi-sport event was held from July 23 to August 08, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan. This was for the fourth time that Japan hosted the Olympic Games, after previously hosting the Tokyo 1964 (Summer), Sapporo 1972 (Winter), and Nagano 1998 (Winter) games. Apart from this, Tokyo is the first Asian city to hold the Summer Games twice.
- The United States has topped the overall medal table with 113 medals, which includes 39 Gold, 41 Silver and 33 Bronze Medal.
- Indian Contingent managed to win 7 medals comprising 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 4 Bronze Medals. The country stood at the 48th position in the medal table out of 86 countries.
Top Five Nations in the Medal Tally:
- United States: 113 (Gold: 39, Silver: 41, Bronze: 33)
- China: 88 (Gold: 38, Silver: 32, Bronze: 18)
- Japan: 58 (Gold: 27, Silver: 14, Bronze: 17)
- Great Britain: 65 (Gold: 22, Silver: 21, Bronze: 22)
- Team ROC (the Russian Olympic Committee): 71 (Gold: 20, Silver: 28, Bronze: 23)
India in the Tokyo Olympics 2020
- India finished the Games with its best-ever Olympic medal tally of 7 in Tokyo Games 2020, surpassing the previous best record of 6 medals at the 2012 London Olympics.
- MC Mary Kom, and men’s hockey team skipper, Manpreet Singh, were flag-bearers for the Indian contingent at the opening ceremony.
- Bronze-medalist Bajrang Punia was the flag-bearer at the closing ceremony of the event.
Indian Medal Winners List
Men’s Javelin Throw: Neeraj Chopra
Women’s 49kg Weightlifting: Mirabai Chanu
Men’s Freestyle 57kg Wrestling: Ravi Dahiya
Women’s Welterweight boxing: Lovlina Borgohain
Women’s Singles Badminton: PV Sindhu
Men’s 65kg Freestyle Wrestling: Bajrang Punia
Men’s hockey: India men’s hockey team