World Athletics Day is celebrated every year globally on the 7th of May to raise awareness about the importance of fitness and encourage them to play sports, especially athletics. The basic objective of World Athletics Day is to boost the participation of youths in athletics. The World Athletics Day gave a chance to schools, colleges and various other institutions to promote their children’s interests in various other sports from running to shot put and various other sports which require stamina.
History of World Athletics Day
In 1996, World Athletics Day was started by the then International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) President Primo Nebiolo. The World Athletics federation and an international governing body for the field of athletics, IAAF, organises and sponsors this day every year since then, with a focus on fitness and health.
Objectives of World Athletics Day
- Popularising sports among the youth.
- Giving a boost to Athletics and making it the primary sport in schools and institutions.
- Increasing public awareness about sports and imparting education to youngsters about the importance of sports.
- To establish an important link between the youth, sport, and environmental conservation.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- World Athletics Headquarters: Monaco;
- World Athletics Founded: 17 July 1912, Stockholm, Sweden.