India and US announced the launch of a new energy task force to support the large-scale integration of renewable energy needed to support the clean energy transition. The announcement will strengthen the India-US partnership in the critical energy sector to new levels. There was also a bilateral meeting between Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Hardeep Singh Puri and US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, after which the announcement was made.
Key Points related to the new energy task force announced by India and US
- During the bilateral meeting, the two leaders underscored the critical importance of clean energy engagement to strengthen energy security.
- The two leaders underscored the importance of ensuring reliable energy supplies to ensure balanced energy markets including India’s support for the US initiative to release crude oil from the strategic petroleum reserves.
- Both leaders emphasized the importance of private sector engagement to facilitate investment, inform policy, and accelerate technology deployment.
- US and India continued to convene public-private task forces on hydrogen and biofuels.
- They announced the launch of a New Energy Storage Task Force to support the large-scale integration of renewable energy needed to support the clean energy transition.