Every year, the full week ending on the last Sunday of September is observed as the International Week of the Deaf (IWD). In 2022, IWD is being observed from September 19 to 25 September 2022. The theme of the 2022 International Week of Deaf People is “Building Inclusive Communities for All”. It is an initiative of the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) and was first launched in 1958 in Rome, Italy to commemorate the month when the first World Congress of the WFD was held.
- Monday 19 September 2022: Sign Languages in Education
- Tuesday 20 September 2022: Sustainable economic opportunities for deaf people
- Wednesday 21 September 2022: Health for All
- Thursday 22 September 2022: Safeguarding deaf people in times of crisis
- Friday 23 September 2022: Sign Languages Unite Us!
- Saturday 24 September 2022: Intersectional Deaf Communities
- Sunday 25 September 2022: Deaf Leadership for Tomorrow
International Week of the Deaf: History
On 19 December 2017, the UN General Assembly declared 23 September as the International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL). The resolution was proposed through the Permanent Mission of Antigua and Barbuda to the UN, following an original request by the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD). There were 97 UN Member States including Canada voted for the adoption of the resolution as co-sponsors. The choice of 23 September commemorates the date the WFD was established in 1951. The objective of the IDSL is to raise awareness on sign languages and strengthen their status of sign languages.
The IDSL takes place on the last full week of September as part of the International Week of the Deaf (IWDeaf), which was recognized and celebrated by the WFD in 1958. The IWDeaf is celebrated through various activities by respective Deaf communities in Canada and around the world. These activities call for the participation and involvement of various stakeholders including families, peers, governmental bodies, professional sign language interpreters, and Disabled Person Organizations (DPOs).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- World Federation of the Deaf Founded: 23 September 1951;
- World Federation of the Deaf Headquarters Location: Helsinki, Finland;
- World Federation of the Deaf President: Joseph Murray.